This submission focuses on:
- the meaning of sustainability when applied to a public service;
- rising healthcare costs as an international trend;
- why an ageing population may not bring greatly increased costs;
- the burden of payment through changes in the dependency ratio;
- how cost effective the NHS is; and
- the lessons to be learned from the current hospital deficit.
It also contains recommendations on how to best manage future need and contain costs by appraising: the costs of the current marketised structure, PFI schemes, adult social care, the value of general medicine in treating long term conditions, mental health, socio-economic inequality, investment in prevention and models for service delivery. It was published by the House of Lords Select Committee on October 18th 2016.